Welcome to South Church Hartford
South Church in Hartford, CT is a place where people gather to express their faith and to grow as Christians; a place deeply committed to sharing the good news of Jesus Christ and caring for others through our outreach and missions programs; a place for people who are looking for some answers to life’s tough questions. Do you have any questions?
South Church is a church in the congregational tradition. Congregationalism is a system of church organization which believes in:
The Headship of Christ
Jesus Christ is the head of each local church and His holy and inspired Word (the Bible) is the rule and guide for our faith and practice.
The Completeness of the Gathered Local Church
Jesus stated in Matthew 18:20, “For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” Therefore, a congregational church believes that each church is complete unto itself and requires only two or three believers who enter into a covenant with one another to constitute a “church.”
The Autonomy of the Local Church
This means a congregational church believes that God has given to each congregation the authority to govern itself in all matters relating to its own internal administration in a spirit of Christian love and fellowship. Autonomy means “self-government under God.” Therefore a congregational church is free from the control of any other religious body, hierarchy, or authority (bishop, cardinal, pope, presbytery, or council). We are subservient only to Christ.
The Fellowship of the Churches
A congregational church recognizes the diversities of form, creed, and ritual and seeks voluntary association with other congregational churches as well as fellowship and cooperative goodwill with Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Baptists, Catholics and all other Christian communities of faith.
A congregational church recognizes the equal rights of all believers and no doctrine, dogma, or creed is binding upon any member, however, it is important for all members to know what their pastor believes.
- I believe there is only one living and true God, existing in three persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit, who is all-knowing, all-powerful, and infinite in love.
- I believe in Jesus Christ, His one and only Son, who is the revelation of God in human form and who was without sin, died for our salvation, and was resurrected so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.
- I believe in the Holy Spirit who guides, inspires and reveals to us the will of God.
- I believe that the Bible is God’s holy and inspired revelation to humankind; that there is absolute truth contained within it; and that Biblical teaching is accurate.
- I believe humankind is sinful by nature.
- I believe Heaven, Hell, and Satan literally exist and Satan tempts humankind to sin.
- I believe salvation is given to us not through works but by God’s grace alone.
- I believe in celebrating two Sacraments: The Lord’s Supper and Holy Baptism.
- I believe in the power of prayer.
- I believe all Christians are called to be ministers and are to use their God-given gifts and talents to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ to the world.
- I believe in the self-governance of the local church and its freedom from the control of any other religious bodies
You will hear the Word of God preached. You can experience a traditional worship service with organ and hymns at 9:30 am or a modern worship service with a praise band at 11:00 am. Communion is celebrated on the first Sunday of every month.
Sunday Worship – 10:00 am
277 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06106-1818